The flexibility regulation allows farmers to ask for a exemption for one or two growing seasons for a specific variety.
The flexibility regulation applies if:
• a certain (sub)crop is on the National Annex
• a new variety enters the market
• organic seed is not yet available for this variety
• the variety has specific desired traits
• the seed producer is willing to produce organic seed (proved by a signed declaration)
Up to now this regulation has mainly been used for glasshouse crops, since in this sector the varieties used (and requested) change very quickly.